Saturday, June 20, 2009

PARTY GAMING LAUNCHES GLOBAL CAMPAIGN WITH REGIONAL AGENCIES

19th June 2009

Party Gaming has launched a global campaign for its Party Casino and Party Poker brands with TV ads devised by Leeds agency Home and shot by Hollywood director Paul WS Anderson.

It is the Event Horizon director's first work for a UK agency since signing with The Mob – which produced the ads – in December last year. His first ad was a VW spot for DDB Berlin shot in March.

Post production was split between 422 in Manchester, which handled the Party Casino ad, and London's Smoke & Mirrors and Triangle which worked on the Party Poker commercial.

Anderson shot the ads on blue screen over four days at Shepperton Studios in London and chose Fatboy Slim's 'Ya Mama' as the soundtrack.

“There was a lot to do in such a short space of time but, as a film director, Paul was more than capable of dealing with a tight deadline and the pressures they can bring,” said John Brocklehurst, managing director of The Mob, which is based in Manchester.

“He is currently taking time out from film-making to write, but loves to shoot and wanted to use the time to work on some commercials.”

Visual FX, CGI and audio were added by 422, with 30 and 60 second cuts made for broadcast on terrestrial and satellite TV channels as well as online.

John Sharp, creative director at 422, said: “Our challenge was to create a virtual visual casino environment with a series of animated casino games, such as roulette, blackjack and slots.

“We projected this onto a glass screen using elements of actual online game play and we even created 'cyber chips' that turned into real poker chips as the games came to life."

The ads are appearing on ITV, Channel 4, Sky, IDS and MTV channels in the UK, while 422 is now cutting idents for sponsorship deals around the world.

Media Man Australia Profiles

PartyGaming

PartyPoker.com

PartyCasino.com

PartyPoker.com News

PartyCasino.com News

Television

Media Companies

ITV

MTV

Broadcasting

Friday, June 19, 2009

David Leckie’s bizarre speech - Media Diary - The Australian - 18th June 2009

It's usually the network’s stars who face questions about their after-hours behaviour, but last night it was executive David Leckie whose bizarre antics left an industry event wondering what was wrong with the Seven CEO.

Leckie was so unsteady on his feet at Sydney’s Star City Casino some guests questioned whether he had fully recovered from a severe infection which left him in an induced coma in April last year.

Leckie was slurring his words as he delivered a speech at a star-studded party to celebrate the success of Seven’s morning programs, Sunrise, Weekend Sunrise and The Morning Show.

He mumbled so much he was hard to follow and at one stage he said “I can’t read this (speech) by the way…”.

Then followed a series of harsh reflections on the Seven network he inherited six years ago and which he has turned around into the market leader.

“The second day I arrived at Channel Seven, I went out to wonderful Epping. Sacked the general manager and went into our newsroom.”

He recounted how he and his new recruit from Nine Peter Meakin both wanted the pleasure of sacking the then Seven news director.

Meakin, who became the network’s news and public affairs chief, got the task.

“It was a horrible, horrible hole down there…. but you know what? There was something going on. There was something really going on.

“That was six years ago. Six years ago. You could just see it. You could just see some sort of spark going on.”

Leckie then identified the “spark” as the Sunrise breakfast show produced by Adam Boland, which has not lost a ratings week to Nine’s Today in five years.

“The only thing we did was, we went to the board, or I actually did…with Peter [Meakin’s] endorsement…to get more money. I thought ‘I’m going to have a crack at this,’” Leckie said. “And I must say Kerry Stokes and Ryan Stokes were way, way behind this. They were so into it. It was fantastic. We could have closed the doors, we could have walked out, it was that bad. But for one thing: it was called Sunrise.”

“Sunrise is number one, full stop. Full stop. Weekend Sunrise has smashed their opposition. Smashed their opposition. I mean you can’t believe important Sunday was to Channel Nine,” the former Nine CEO said.

“It was hugely important. We’ve smashed it. God….

Leckie praised Boland and the producers and presenters of Sunrise, Weekend Sunrise and The Morning Show, all of which win their timeslots.

“And The Morning Show -well it’s just a joke. We started from nowhere and just killed them. We’ve killed them. It’s really exciting you know. It’s really very, very important and I’m glad you’re all here. It’s just extraordinary what we’ve done. But not me. The people here,” he said.

“It’s all I’ve got to say I guess. Everyone deserves their succ…success. Because I think the success has been incredible. I’ve never seen a turn around like this in my life. Don’t think I ever will again. But well done.”

One of the stars present was Andrew O’Keefe who was supported by Leckie and the network after a video of the Deal or No Deal presenter rolling drunk in the street was screened on a rival network. (Credit: The Australian)

Greg Tingle comment...

We're all human and can only do our best. Life and business is full of ups and downs, millionaire, billionaire, media tycoon or not. Channel Seven have overall enjoyed a number of hugely successful years and celebrating at a casino seems as good as place as any. Seems something might be in the wind between Channel Seven and Star City Casino, just as there's an association between James Packers' Crown Casino and Network Nine Australia. Nothing wrong with a drink either. No sign of Gordon Ramsay at the Star Casino bar, and the jury maybe out if he is to appear at Crown. No such thing as coincidence... not in the news media or casino business anyway. Cheers.

Media Man Australia Profiles

Channel Seven

Television

Media Companies

Broadcasting

Star City Casino

Australian Casino News

Casino News

Monday, June 15, 2009

Packer wobbled on whether to run Keating piggery story, by Jane Schulze - The Australian - 15th June 2009

The late Kerry Packer was so concerned about whether 60 Minutes should broadcast a controversial story about former prime minister Paul Keating's investment in a piggery that he required "quite a session" to be convinced.

John Westacott, who was executive producer of 60 Minutes when the story aired in 1999, and who is today announcing his retirement as the Nine Network's director of news and current affairs, says that Nine's then owner was wobbling on whether to broadcast the story.

"Keating accused Kerry of being behind it but that was absolute rubbish," Mr Westacott told The Australian.

"We (he and the late journalist Paul Lyneham) had quite a session with Kerry to convince him the story should be run because it was true and it was a story that should be told.

"Kerry was concerned about the political fallout over the story and checked at great length with the lawyers about the veracity of what we were saying," Mr Westacott said. "Finally, Paul Lyneham won the day. He told Kerry that if he didn't like a bit of heat 'why didn't he go and start running a shoe shop?' and that hewas a publisher and should publish.

"So Kerry said 'publish your story but I tell you here and now we will all live to remember this day'. And he was quite right.

"Both Lyneham and I lost friends in the Labor Party who didn't think this was right or wrong but that it was beyond the pale to besmirch a PM.

"And Kerry copped a lot of flak for supposedly orchestrating the story."

The original 60 Minutes story alleged Mr Keating had suspect dealings with the Commonwealth Bank relating to the piggery investment.

But no wrongdoing was ever found and an investigation ordered by the Howard government also cleared the former Labor leader.

But the broadcast fanned a longstanding feud between Mr Keating and Mr Packer.

Mr Keating at one stage said Mr Packer's company had "demonstrated it is not fit to hold the licence to telecast over the Channel Nine spectrum" and accused 60 Minutes of being "thuggish".

Westacott, who was in the 60 Minutes role for 16 years, said Mr Packer did not interfere with editorial decisions on the program.

"One of the reasons I was here for so long was because I very much admired and liked working for the bloke.

"He backed all our investigations. I found him supportive and direct and thoroughly understanding of what I did for a living.

"People ask if he interfered, but I never received a directive of how a story should be angled or what story should be pursued. But I did get plenty of advice after the event -- and not all of it was congratulatory.

"But never in the whole time of 60 Minutes did I ever get told 'you should be doing this' or 'do this story for me'.

"But he was always prepared to listen and have the debate and I think he enjoyed that.

"And I enjoyed having it, because he's the proprietor and you have to be able to defend your position," Mr Westacott said. (Credit: The Australian)

Media Man Australia Profiles

Kerry Packer

Network Nine Australia

60 Minutes

Television

Media Companies

Politics

Media News

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

PARTYPOKER.COM AND PARTYCASINO.COM LAUNCH NEW GLOBAL CAMPAIGN

PARTYPOINTS STORE TO BE IMPROVED AT END OF JUNE

Gibraltar – 9th June 2009 – An exciting new global campaign has been launched for both PartyPoker.com and PartyCasino.com.

Extensive worldwide customer research helped PartyPoker.com and PartyCasino.com develop a new proposition and this is delivered through the new strapline ‘Feel it’. The research identified ‘it’ as the intense rush as the river card is turned or the wild anticipation as the roulette wheel begins to slow. In fact ‘it’ is something different to every player and with its range of new games, promotions and tournaments PartyPoker.com and PartyCasino.com are constantly innovating to deliver the best customer experience in online poker and casino.

The campaign will roll out on TV, online, billboards and in press in territories worldwide. At the heart are thrilling TV commercials for both PartyPoker.com and PartyCasino.com that show players caught up in a whirlwind of excitement. The whirlwind captures the journey of the game for poker and the fun and excitement of casino as players enjoy the games in a virtual world. The campaign also sees the introduction of a redesigned logo.

The television advertisements were filmed on the biggest stage at the famous Shepperton Studios in the UK where so many blockbusters including the Bond movies are shot. All the action was overseen by Hollywood film director Paul WS Anderson - his experience in directing Event Horizon, Resident Evil and Alien versus Predator was key to delivering the action packed footage. A look at the tv ads can be found at http://www.partypoker.com and http://www.partycasino.com

The campaign was created by Leeds based agency Home, in conjunction with PartyGaming’s in-house team.

A PartyGaming spokesman said: “The new campaign has gone global and you will already see the brand changes when you log on to PartyPoker.com and PartyCasino.com. PartyPoker.com has just launched the Million Dollar Hand promotion for June, while PartyCasino.com is the world’s largest online casino and is continuing to expand at a rapid pace. The Gold Mega Jackpot at PartyCasino.com currently stands at just over a record breaking $2,281,000 and is waiting to be hit!”

At the end of June, PartyPoker.com will be improving the PartyPoints store. Customers are advised to hold on to their PartyPoints until then to make the most of the changes that will be introduced. See http://www.partypoker.com for more details.

Profiles

PartyPoker.com

PartyPoker.com News

PartyCasino.com

PartyCasino.com News

Gold Mega Jackpot

PartyGaming